Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Risotto

Okay, this is the first time I attempted this recipe and only the second time I made risotto.  I'll tell you, risotto is tough to make.  In my instance, I probably used almost twice the amount of broth than specified in the recipe, it took probably twice the amount of time for the rice to cook and I still had pieces that were undercooked.  The entire time I was making it I could hear Chef Ramsey from Hell's Kitchen screaming "Its raw you daft cow!" LOL

So, if you are daring, or are familiar with making risotto, then try this recipe.  But, I would suggest having more broth available at the beginning than what is suggested.  Better to be safe than sorry!

Sausage & Broccoli Rabe Risotto
(from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, Momentum edition)
Serves: 6
Points: 6

Ingredients

3 cups (or more! LOL) low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups Aborio or short-grain white rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 pound hot italian turkey sausage, casings removed & crumbled
1/2 bunch broccoli rabe, rinsed and chopped

Instructions

1) To make the risotto, bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Reduce the heat and keep at a simmer.

2) Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes.  Add the rice and cook until the outer shell is lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes.

3)  Add the wine, pepper and 1/2 cup of the broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed.  Continue to add the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more, until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy.  The cooking time from the first addition of broth should be 20-24 minutes (um, more like 30-35 for me! LOL).  Stir in the parsley.

4) Meanwhile, spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat.  Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.  Add the brocooli rabe, cover and cook until wilted and softened, about 7 minutes.  With a fork, stir the sausage and broccoli rabe into the risotto.

Cals: 291
Fat: 7g
Fiber: 1g

NOTE:  (this is direct from the cookbook)  Timing and temperature are key to successful risotto making.  Be sure to keep the cooking broth just at a simmer on a nearby burner.  Start counting total risotto cooking time from the first addition of broth.  Cook the risotto over medium to medium-low heat, or just enought heat to maintain a gentle simmer.

No comments: