Monday, March 22, 2010

Fiery Beef with Scallions and Cashews

This wasn't as spicy as the name makes it out to be.  But it was still AWESOME!  I let the meat marinate overnight and it came out so tender!  I found this recipe in the WW "Take-out Tonight" cookbook.

To the folks that I fed this to recently, I did not use the lemongrass (fresh or dried) because I couldn't find it at the market and I didn't have a chance to go to a different store. :-)

Fiery Beef with Scallions and Cashews
Serves: 4
Points: 6

Ingredients

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup minced onion
1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh lemongrass or 1 tsp dried
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tsp Asian (dark) sesame oil
2 or 3 drops hot pepper sauce
1 (1 pound) flank steak trimmed of all visible fat, cut diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices
1/4 cup chopped scallions
3 tbsp chopped cashews

Instructions

1) To make the marinade, combine the honey, onion, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, jalapeno, soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, and hot sauce in a large zip-close plastic bag.  Mix well.  Add the steak, seal the bag, and turn several times to coat.  Refrigerate the steak, turning the bag occasionally, at least 1 hour or overnight.

2) Spray the grill or broiler rack with nonstick spray; prepare the grill or preheat the broiler.

3) Remove the steak from the marinade, scraping off any excess.  Discard the marinade.  Thread the steak onto each of 8 (8-inch) metal skewers (I used wood skewers.  Just let them soak for a couple of hours before using!)  Grill or broil the steak 5 inches from the heat until browned, 3 minutes on each side.  Sprinkle the steak with the scallions and cashews.

No comments: