Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lemon-Garlic Roast Chicken

I have this WW cookbook called "Take-out Tonight!"  It has different take-out style recipes for different ethnic regions.  There are a ton of recipes in there that I want to try.  So this week, I am doing "take-out week" and cooking something from this cookbook each night. 

Last night, we had this Greek recipe and it was very good.  Easy, tasty and good for you too.  I served some green beans sauteed in olive oil along with the chicken & potatoes and we had a great meal.

Lemon-Garlic Roast Chicken
Serves: 4
Points: 6

Ingredients

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 skinless bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
1/2 cup water

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2) Combine the lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, oregano, marjoram, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper in a large bowl.  Add the chicken, tossing well to coat, and marinate 20 minutes.

3) Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper in a medium bowl.  Add the potatoes and toss well to coat.  Place a wire rack in the center of a large roasting pan.  Arrange the potatoes around the rack and roast 20 minutes.

4)  Remove the chicken from the marinade; reserve marinade.  Remove the pan from the oven, and place the chicken on the wire rack.  Add the water to the reserved marinade and pour over the chicken and potatoes.  Roast chicken and potatoes 20 minutes; baste with the pan juice (okay, here's the deal, I think my roasting pan was too big because all the "juices" evaporated.  So, I just used some fat-free chicken broth to baste with.).  Return the pan to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken registers at 170 degrees, about 15-20 minutes longer (it was about 15 for me).

No comments: